Long Island is known for many things, but what you may not know are the people and places that have become famous from LI. Besides Mariah Carey, Billy Joel, Jerry Seinfeld, the Baldwins, and Lindsay Lohan, there are many other famous faces and places near your hometown. Here’s our Top 10:
1. Historical figures including Teddy Roosevelt, Walt Whitman, and Charles Lindbergh called LI home.
2. Old Westbury Gardens: These beautiful grounds have been the backdrop in many movies, such as Love Story, Hitch, Cruel Intentions, and the Manchurian Candidate.
3. Sand’s Point Preserve: The horse head scene from The Godfather was filmed here, as well as scenes from Great Expectations. Malcolm X and Scent of a Women also used the backdrop in their films.
4. Montauk: While the beaches were featured in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
5. F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote The Great Gatsby while living on LI, and based the novel on Great Neck and Sands Point.
6. Some of our favorite actors and singers that hail from Long Island include illusionist Criss Angel, actress Nikki Blonsky from Hairspray, comedian Jim Breuer, actor Ed Burns, actor Steve Buscemi, comedien Billy Crystal, Edie Falco from the Sopranos and Nurse Jackie shows, comedien/actor Kevin James, designer Michael Kors, comedien Eddie Murphy, to name only a very few.
7. Angelina Jolie’s Salt movie was filmed on the Grumman property in Bethpage.
8. The beach club scenes from Goodfellas were shot at the Catalina Beach Club in Atlantic Beach.
9. Louie’s Oyster Bar and Grille in Port Washington and Victor Talbots in Greenvale were both featured in Meet the Parents.
10. Some scenes from The Others with Nicole Kidman were taken at Oheka Castle in Huntington.